Thursday 26 September 2019

Reportage (Contemporary Arts and Culture): Interview with Gaynor Evelyn Sweeney (Artist, Curator and Author)


Reportage: Contemporary Arts and Culture
Independent Media for National and International Arts
Bula's Artist Interviews
Interview with Gaynor Evelyn Sweeney, Artist
22 September 2019

Late September 2019 and a bright crisp Autumn day. I went to meet an Artist I have several times before over the years of her professional art career. We had arranged to meet for lunch.

Gaynor Evelyn Sweeney is an Artist, Curator and Author and has had a very diverse life and equally in her creativity. Renowned for challenging preconceptions and still at times shifting from contemporary art and to re-energise Fine Art transitions with a new media twist.

Interviewer: Hello, Gaynor. I am familiar with your art work, but I am interested to know what you have been doing of late?

Artist: Hi … As of late, do you mean the past months or past few years?

Interviewer: The past year or so?

Artist: I have continued with my creative interests in Abstract painting, but still to explore more within the realms of digital media and at times with a performance investigation. I have been looking at alternative media and researching three-dimensional and installation environments specifically with an interactive and audience development feature. This is still under way.

Interviewer: What do you hope to realise from the new work?

Artist: An artificial environment by the means of new media is nothing new and something I have done before with sensory, sound-works and optical engineering on several projects, but this time I want to explore the more subtle and implicit relationships the audience can form through various environmental experiences. I am still interested in the process of abstraction, but not merely on the conceptualisation rather to be witnessed, shared and experienced. I want to try and achieve something that is more akin to the sentience of a person. Something that is there, but not there. I am still in the process of research and development on this and the work will be released in a year from now.

Interviewer. In terms of your other activities what is else is new with you?

Artist: Other than continuing with my independent practice I am in preparation of further research with some other international Artists. That I will publicise nearer the time when the final collaborative outcomes are consolidated.

Interviewer: What else do you have planned?

Artist: As you know, I not only pursue my professional Art practice, but campaign on an array of subjects with others like-minded and specifically with an interest to Children's Rights and Human Rights. Some of the new work under way will combine themes that align with these subjects. Also, for 2020 I will be launching a series of Art workshops specifically focused to these.

Interviewer: What current shows and upcoming do you have people can come and see?

Artist: My current exhibition, 'Sleep not of Sleep' concludes in this last week of September 2019. The next to follow on is 'The Promise' and will run from October to December 2019. The series of exhibitions are around current issues and through the media of sound, performance and abstraction. In addition to that is the conclusion period of 'Retrospective', as well as other on-going initiatives on combined publications.

Interviewer: What can the audience expect from you in 2020?

Artist: The culmination of series of work I have been researching and development as I have explained, but furthermore the release of several publications. Other than that there is a greater focus to Arts and Cultural projects abroad, as well as upcoming collaborations.
Interviewer: Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.

Artist: Thank you, Bula.




#art #arts #contemporaryart #fineart #artist #culture #liveart #performanceart #gallery #curator #exhibitions #artgallery #painting #abstractart #newmedia #digitalmedia #crossdisciplinary #teaching #author #research #sculpture #installations #commissions #artcollections #fineartbuyers #artbuyers #gaynorevelynsweeney #workshops #tuition #tutor #mentor #artistmentor #research #gabbieagogo #artanddesign #ges #emporium #charitable #collaborations

No comments:

Post a Comment